Re: Permanent alias for postgresql table

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Permanent alias for postgresql table
Date: 2009-03-12 14:39:35
Lists: pgsql-sql

Marco Lechner, 12.03.2009 15:26:
> Hi Mina,
>
> thanks for your answer. I thought about that, but don't
> views decrease performance, because they are "calculated"
> on access?

I'm not sure what you mean with "calculated". A view is just a SQL query.

There is no difference in executing the SQL query that's behind a view or the view itself. Except for the minimal time it takes to retrieve the view definition.

But I would never sacrifice easy of development or usage for the microseconds of overhead the VIEW generates.

And the "overhead" (if at all) will be neglectable compared to the time it takes to return the result.

Thomas