Re: harddisk configuration

From: Joseph S <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: harddisk configuration
Date: 2008-10-31 19:21:38
Lists: pgsql-general
Goboxe wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I just receive a new server with 5 x 73GB SAS harddisk.
> I tried to maximize the total usable space when configure using RAID
> 5.
>
> What I plan to do to configure all the 5 harddisks using RAID 5.
> Windows operating system also will be installed the same RAID 5 ( I
> going to have c: & d: drives)
>
> Is there any pro & cons when I using the above config?
>
> Thanks,

Raid 5 is slow.  I thought the dedicated hardware I had would do the
checksums so fast and that raid 5 would be faster than raid 10 (since io
is spread over more disks) but it turned out not to be the case.  I'd
used raid 10 if I were you.

pgsql-general by date

Next:From: Eric SchwarzenbachDate: 2008-10-31 19:34:48