Re: psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

From: "Milen A(dot) Radev" <milen(at)radev(dot)net>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"
Date: 2008-09-08 11:07:24
Lists: pgsql-sql

VG написа:
> Hi,
>
> I have installed postgresql-serve using yum
> hba.conf group and owner were postgres then i changed it to root.

Why?

> when i type psql -U postgres command ( as root user) I get:
>
> psql: FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

Most probably the default pg_hba.conf includes the following line:
local all postgres ident

Which means that you could login with the DB user "postgres" only if you
are logged in already as the system user "postgres". So "su - postgres"
before using psql should do the trick.

Please read "Chapter 21. Client Authentication"
(http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/client-authentication.html)
for details.

--
Milen A. Radev