Re: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)

From: Milan Oparnica <milan(dot)opa(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PERSISTANT PREPARE (another point of view)
Date: 2008-07-21 20:45:36
Lists: pgsql-sql

I found this link from IBM DB2 developers showing why PERSISTENT PREPARE
is a good idea and how could it be implemented.

http://www.hoadb2ug.org/Docs/Favero20606.pdf

It seems that main benefit (beside efficiency) is memory.
Having number of connections all with dozens of PREPARED statements
consumes lot of memory.

If we put these statements in global space (perhaps not even in RAM
memory until needed) we could reuse optimization plans as well as
physical space needed to store them.

I also found articles:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-04/msg00867.php

and

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-performance/2008-03/msg00480.php

all about users trying to explain PERSISTENT PREPARE (some refer to it
as global prepare).

There are also some guys who actually made some code for PERSISTENT PREPARE:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01228.php
and
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2008-03/msg01219.php

PEOPLE NEED THIS FEATURE !!! It is not discovering the wheel but it will
simplify DB programming and even gain some performance.

NONE OF POPULAR SQL DBMS (Oracle, MS SQL, MySQL, Postgre, INTERBASE,
FIREBIRD) HAVE THIS FEATURE.

WHY ?