Re: best er modeling tool for postgreSQL

From: Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: best er modeling tool for postgreSQL
Date: 2008-05-25 07:58:31
Lists: pgsql-general
jcvlz wrote on 25.05.2008 04:41:
> /** Not-free **/
> Microsoft Visio - (If you already have it, it does work quite well)
> DataStudio - 30 day trial
>     http://www.aquafold.com
> DBWrench - 30 day trial
>     http://www.dbwrench.com/

There are some more non-free ones (although Windows only)

DeZign: http://www.datanamic.com/dezign/index.html
HappyFish: http://www.polderij.nl/happyfish/products.html
DDS-Pro: http://www.dds-pro.com/
dbConstructor: http://www.dbconstructor.com/home/home.aspx

All are priced in the range €150 to €350

I had (a quick) look at them, and DeZign looks quite nice. It is more feature
richt than Power*Architect especially when it comes to a full-blown round-trip
engineering and it can reverse engineer a model from SQL scripts (haven't tested
that with PG scripts though).
I also like the ability to create sub-models which keeps larger models clean.

Thomas