Re: Bolder vision of pg certification

From: "Mudy Situmorang" <mudy(at)tdmm(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bolder vision of pg certification
Date: 2008-05-08 06:30:13
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
"Andrew Sullivan" <ajs(at)commandprompt(dot)com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 08:57:39AM +0700, Mudy Situmorang wrote:
>>
>> I believe we should take the path of Oracle. The database company that
>> become an Information Company, by their strength in education and
>> certification.
>
> That's not the only thing that Oracle did.  There is an important
> difference with Oracle: Oracle Corp can restrict what any of its
> customers say about the database system by virtue of the license those
> customers agreed to, and it can also control what any employees say
> about the system.  This contrast is important, because it puts
> practical limits on what an effort in the community can do.

That ofcourse we wont follow.

> Furthermore, Oracle Corp had large amounts of money to spend on this
> certification effort.  The programs you are discussing are expensive
> to operate and extremely hard to develop.  This isn't something you do
> in a weekend with your friends, and still have it be valid.

That resource requirements (time, money, engineer) IMHO, might be provided
by companies and institutions as part of community. As I said, what we need
is to create a sound business model to accomodate their interest without
threatening PostgreSQL core values.

> Finally,
>
>> PostgreSQL Global Institute (PGI)
>
> [ . . . ]
>
> I think you need to go back to the -certification list archives and
> look at the discussion (or, depending on your view, flamewar) about
> governance.
> In any case, this discussion belongs on the other list.

I've read all list description. The concept of PostgreSQL Global Institute
is absolutely totally extremly exacly not related to certification list nor
general list. It is related to how postgres expand its advocacy effort. Its
an alternative of postgres advocacy strategy in an extreme approach that I
think possible.

Currently some education company sell postgresql certification for US$
2.600. Others got thousands of dollars for installing Postgres.
It is a matter of time before people start to offer proprietary PostgreSQL
Database Server certification (sounds funny:-) and education.
I think you guys from Postgres Global Development core and contributors
should receive some share of that while at the same time expand profit for
those companies, not reducing. That's what I think PGI might do.

Just consider please...