Bolder vision of pg certification

From: "Mudy Situmorang" <mudy(at)tdmm(dot)net>
To: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Bolder vision of pg certification
Date: 2008-05-07 01:57:39
Lists: pgsql-advocacy
I believe postgres may expand faster and stronger if we move to a more
bolder vision in certification.

While Drake moving pg certification to the new server, I think it is still
appropriate to talk about some cert topic in advocacy, since I have some
view outside the boundary of pg cert.

After reading the archive.

IMHO, we shouldn't follow BSD's certification project as a model. Not to
undermine those great folks who has done great job in BSD's cert. There are
substantial difference between an OS and a Database Server.

I believe we should take the path of Oracle. The database company that
become an Information Company, by their strength in education and
certification.

More over, we can expand way over. Something more scary:

PostgreSQL Global Institute (PGI)
Community driven education, standardization and certification of data
management based on products developed by PostgreSQL Global Development with
focus on enhancing application, utilization, commercialization of
PostgreSQL.

PGI might contain three body:
1. Board of PostgreSQL Certification
Oversight the certification process.
2. Board of PostgreSQL Standardization
Oversight the process of creating standard, and legalize a standard.
3. Board of PostgreSQL Education
Oversight the postgreSQL education product created by the community.

In order to make it work, what we need is creating a business model that is
compatible with PostgreSQL community value, and able to attract commercial
institution, as well as other organization to involve in the PGI based
certification, standardization and education. In other word, a business
model that might generate profit for organization so that those organization
might spare their resource to run the PGI concept.

In this case I should've titled "Where PostgreSQL should learn from MySQL"
:-)... from Sun perhaps.

Ok, don't curse me on that... lets talk about PgCertification.

PgCertification

Prior to talk about exam, we're talking about Certification Object Type (let
say PgCOT). I believe survey is not the right tools to decide PgCOT.

Certification Object Type (PgCOT), defined as type of object that can be
certified by PGI... I mean Pg Certification, or cert.postgresql or
something, suppose to be object that is commonly certified.

Therefore, I propose 3 PgCOT:
1. Database Server
2. Product
3. Engineer

Why?
1. Some evil commercial company out there wants to utilize PostgreSQL
technology as their database server and they feel no need to pay a high
salary PostgreSQL engineer. However, they need to know that their mission
critical database server already installed according to the required usage
purpose (by an engineer with unknown skills).

2. Community might want to know which product already conform with
PostgreSQL standard for Administrator Tools, so that they might choose
between EMS SQL Manager, Navicat, or PostgreSQL Maestro. ABBTTRO
(all brand belong to their respective owners). Or perhaps someone might
create an MRI with embedded PostgreSQL technology.

3. Engineer... you know, we need to get those company pay more money...
I mean, your company needs to know whether you're paying someone too much
money.

This is only some thoughts, I'll support and shall contribute in pg
certification whatever the strategy is.

pgsql-advocacy by date