Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL, and FreeBSD

From: Ivan Voras <ivoras(at)freebsd(dot)org>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL vs MySQL, and FreeBSD
Date: 2007-11-14 19:47:16
Lists: pgsql-performance

Dimitri wrote:

> Reading this article I'm just happy for them to see progress done on FreeBSD :-)
> As well to demonstrate OS parallelism it's not so impressive to see
> 4CPU server results rather 8CPU or 32threaded Niagara... Don't know
> why they did not present similar performance graphs for these
> platform, strange no?...

Well, most of the results in the document
(http://people.freebsd.org/~kris/scaling/7.0%20Preview.pdf) are for
8-CPU machines, which is about the most you can get with off the shelf
hardware (2x4-core CPU, the document has both Xeon and Opteron results).
Niagara support is unfinished, so there's nothing to report there. On
the other hand, the document does compare between several versions of
Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD and DragonflyBSD, with both MySQL and PostgreSQL,
so you can draw your conclusions (if any) from there.