PG windows service issues

From: Yves Moisan <ymoisan(at)groupesm(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: PG windows service issues
Date: 2007-10-30 16:49:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi All,

I'm new to this list.

I've set up postgreSQL on windows about 4 times since the first 8.x
series came out. The first time it was 8.0 beta3 IIRC. I believe I've
installed another in the 8.0 series, then a 8.1 then just a couple of
weeks ago 8.2.4. Every time I run into the same problem. I get the
thing to work, find out I have to hack a couple of conf files to allow
the port to work and then when I close my machine, trying to restart the
service fails. (I know a server isn't meant to be shutdown like a
desktop machine, but I'm trying out PG on my desktop ...)

The only way I found to get rid of that problem is to reinitialize the
password of the account that runs the service *every time I reboot my
machine*. Then I can start the service. This is not only cumbersome,
but it is outright dangerous. I wonder why this happens. I've
installed a lot of software from the linux world as services (e.g.Zope)
and I never encountered such problems. How can I get rid of those issues ?

Sorry for the slightly whining tone of this email (I do like
postgreSQL!), but I figured those types of issues had some time to
settle since the 8.x series came out and they didn't.

TIA, from a user who wants to bring folks to postgreSQL on windows,

Yves Moisan