Re: VACUUM FULL out of memory

From: "Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Michael Akinde" <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: VACUUM FULL out of memory
Date: 2008-01-07 15:00:05
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Jan 7, 2008 2:40 PM, Michael Akinde <michael(dot)akinde(at)met(dot)no> wrote:

> As suggested, I tested a VACUUM FULL ANALYZE with 128MB shared_buffers
> and 512 MB reserved for maintenance_work_mem (on a 32 bit machine with 4
> GB RAM).

My Apologies if my question seems redundant and something you have already
discussed with list members, but why do you need to do a VACUUM FULL? have
you not vacuumed for a while? or some special requirement which requires
very aggressive space re-claim? Vacuum Full is also known to cause some
index bloat at times as well. most systems i know run regular vacuums and
had never required to run a vacuum full.

--
Usama Munir Dar http://www.linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect