Re: Enhancement request

From: "Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Campbell, Lance" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu>
Cc: "posgres support" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Enhancement request
Date: 2007-11-30 21:42:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Dec 1, 2007 12:46 AM, Campbell, Lance <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu> wrote:

> Could you please add to your to do list a schema parameter for vacuum?
>

> Example:
>

> VACUUM SCHEMA xyz;
>

> PostgreSQL would get a list of all of the tables found in the schema. It
> would then loop through vacuuming each table in the schema.
>

> I found today that I did not have max_fsm_pages set high enough in order
> to vacuum the entire database. I vacuum daily to avoid problems. After
> realizing that I cannot vacuum the entire database now, I then had to do it
> at the table level. I had to go through all 13 of my schemas and list each
> table I found into an SQL vacuum script. This was a real waist of time. I
> will eventually restart PostgreSQL with an increased value for max_fsm_pages
> so this will not be an issue.
>

> But until then I will have to run a new script. I created a script with
> 420 SQL vacuum statements at the table level. I would have preferred to
> create 13 vacuum SQL statements at the schema level.

i generally use an sql to generate vaccum statement for all tables in a
schema and then simple copy paste the output in an sql file and then just
run it. something like following

postgres=# select 'vacuum ' || relname || ';'
from pg_class c , pg_namespace n
where c.relnamespace = n.oid
and n.nspname='public' and relkind='r';

?column?
--------------
vacuum b;
vacuum a;
vacuum test;
vacuum xyz;
vacuum foo;
(5 rows)

You can redirect this output to a file and then strip off the heading and
the feedback of (5 rows) and just run that file

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect