Re: Release Note Changes

From: "Usama Dar" <munir(dot)usama(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Gregory Stark" <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Release Note Changes
Date: 2007-11-30 10:08:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On 11/30/07, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> wrote:

> "Simon Riggs" <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> writes:
>
> > If people understand there aren't 13 performance improvements there are
> > at *least* 19+ that is a positive message to help people decide to
> > upgrade.
>
> Frankly I think the release notes are already too long. People who judge a
> release by counting the number of items in the release notes are not worth
> appeasing. Including every individual lock removed or code path optimized
> will
> only obscure the important points on which people should be judging the
> relevance of the release to them. Things like smoothing checkpoint i/o
> which
> could be removing a show-stopper problem for them.
>
> If they're mentioned at all a single release note bullet point saying
> "Many
> optimizations and concurrency improvements in areas such as transaction
> start
> and finish, checkpoint start, record visibility checking, merge join
> plans,
> ..." would suffice.
>
> --
> Gregory Stark
> Ask me about EnterpriseDB's 24x7 Postgres support!

i agree that release notes should not be too long, but may be there should
be (if there isn't one already) something like a "change log" where people
can find out all the changes done from the previous release, if they are
intrested ?

--
Usama Munir Dar http://linkedin.com/in/usamadar
Consultant Architect