Re: Transactions within a function body

From: "Bob Henkel" <bob(dot)henkel(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Transactions within a function body
Date: 2008-10-02 15:30:40
Lists: pgsql-general

Have you looked at creating a function in perl and creating a new
connection? Or using a dblink query which can create a new connection?
These two methods work. I have used them to insert to a log table regardless
of the parent transaction being commited or rolled back.

A old example I posted of using pl/perl can be found here ->
http://www.postgresqlforums.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=647

The key is opening a new session which using dblink or pl/perl dbi
connection will do. This is not ideal as it would be nice if you could just
do autonomous transactions, but I find this method works for the cases where
you need it.

Bob

"Hi all.

Is there a way to have (sub)transactions within a function body?
I'd like to execute some code (a transaction!) inside a function and later
decide whether that transaction is to be committed or not.

Thanks."