Table maintenance: order of operations important?

From: Jeff Boes <mur(at)qtm(dot)net>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Table maintenance: order of operations important?
Date: 2004-05-20 13:48:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
We have a number of tables from which we expire (delete) rows nightly.
Is there any value to ordering the operations, in terms of either table
physical organization or elapsed time?

E.g.,

   DELETE FROM foo WHERE date_expires < now();
   VACUUM ANALYZE foo;
   CLUSTER foo;
   REINDEX TABLE foo;

How would you choose to order these (under 7.4.x) for fastest
turn-around? Does it matter?

--
It may not always be easy, convenient, or politically correct to stand
for truth and right, but it is the right thing to do. Always.

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: mengelDate: 2004-05-20 16:19:32