Re: Giant Postgresql Database Cluster Folder

From: robin <robin(at)edesix(dot)com>
To: <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Giant Postgresql Database Cluster Folder
Date: 2012-04-10 07:19:58
Lists: pgsql-admin
Given your data set is small so a dump/restore cycle is painless, you
should also consider upgrading to the latest stable release.

I agree with Raghu that you need to vacuum your database periodically
to keep it's footprint under control, but rather than doing the VACUUM
commands via scheduled activity you should use the auto vacuum daemon
unless you have specific needs.  You probably do need to do the first
vacuum by hand with no users connected (or do a dump/restore cycle which
is perhaps quicker with a system as bloated as yours).

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/routine-vacuuming.html#AUTOVACUUM

Given you missed the need to vacuum I would read the whole routine
maintenance section in case there are other activities that you should
be performing to keep your data safe and available:

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/maintenance.html

Hope this helps,

Robin