Re: procedures for adding data

From: Mogin Mohandas <moginmo(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Michael Glaesemann <grzm(at)myrealbox(dot)com>, pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: procedures for adding data
Date: 2005-12-19 23:08:44
Lists: pgsql-novice
Micheal,
               Thanx for the info. Im sorry, it was a typing mistake......I
meant a large no of rows......
    Basically, I do not want to give each row. I just want to write some
procedure which will generate the column values of each row in a specified
manner.....this is so that I can test a GIST index i tried to build on a UDT
called Complex. The values in the rows dont matter.
              In Oracle, a procedure can be used:
    Create or Replace Procedure "tablename"
         //variable declarations
     BEGIN
             //do some kind of incrementing or whatever for the variables
used for each column
             insert into "tablename" values(
                          //give the values of each column as required
                 )
      commit;
     END

I just wanted to know whether there is something like this in Postgresql
Thanks a lot
Mogin