Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted!

From: "Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Julius Stroffek" <Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)sun(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Dano Vojtek" <danielkov(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Multi CPU Queries - Feedback and/or suggestions wanted!
Date: 2008-10-21 05:25:16
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, Oct 20, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Julius Stroffek
<Julius(dot)Stroffek(at)sun(dot)com>wrote:

> Topics that seem to be of interest and most of them were already
> discussed at developers meeting in Ottawa are
> 1.) parallel sorts
> 2.) parallel query execution
> 3.) asynchronous I/O
> 4.) parallel COPY
> 5.) parallel pg_dump
> 6.) using threads for parallel processing

[...]

> 2.)
> Different subtrees (or nodes) of the plan could be executed in parallel
> on different CPUs and the results of this subtrees could be requested
> either synchronously or asynchronously.

I don't see why multiple CPUs can't work on the same node of a plan. For
instance, consider a node involving a scan with an expensive condition, like
UTF-8 string length. If you have four CPUs you can bring to bear, each CPU
could take every fourth page, computing the expensive condition for each
tuple in that page. The results of the scan can be retired asynchronously
to the next node above.

-jwb