Re: 3ware vs Areca

From: "Jeffrey Baker" <jwbaker(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Greg Smith" <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com>
Cc: "Pgsql performance" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: 3ware vs Areca
Date: 2008-07-15 15:54:00
Lists: pgsql-performance
On Tue, Jul 15, 2008 at 8:17 AM, Greg Smith <gsmith(at)gregsmith(dot)com> wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jul 2008, Jeffrey Baker wrote:
>
>> But most recently in my memory we had an Areca HBA which, when one of its
>> WD RE-2 disks failed, completely stopped responding to both the command line
>> and the web management interface.
>
> What operating system/kernel version are you using on these systems?

Debian "etch", which has a 2.6.18 kernel.  I have contacted Areca
support (as well as the linux-scsi mailing list) and their responses
are usually either 1) upgrade the driver and/or firmware even though I
have the latest drivers and firmware, or 2) vague statements about the
disk being incompatible with the controller.

-jwb