Database Best Practices

From: ghoffman(at)ucsd(dot)edu (Gary Hoffman)
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Database Best Practices
Date: 1999-07-20 05:00:53
Lists: pgsql-general

To all the database experts out there:

As I begin to design my PostGreSQL tables, I'm looking for some
over-the-shoulder advice on the order of "best practices" recommendations.
Has anyone gathered their experience together into such a book or website?

For example, I'd like to know, in designing a name-and-address table,
- should a title field be provided? (Mr., Dr., etc.)
- how about a suffix (Jr., III, etc.)
- how many address lines should I have for a home address?
- should all the fields be type 'text'? Should Zip be 'text' or 'int4'?
- what schema handles Zip-plus-four best (including the blasted hyphen)?
- what is the best database schema for a universal, international
address table that includes individuals and companies?

Now that I know _how_ to create tables and columns, I want to know
_how_best_ to do so.

Thanks for your tips.

Gary

* Gary B. Hoffman, Computing Services Manager e-mail: ghoffman(at)ucsd(dot)edu *
* Graduate School of International Relations and Pacific Studies (IR/PS) *
* University of California, San Diego (UCSD) voice: (858) 534-1989 *
* 9500 Gilman Dr., La Jolla, CA 92093-0519 USA fax: (858) 534-3939 *