Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC

From: lbrtchx(at)hotmail(dot)com (Albretch)
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC
Date: 2004-06-17 21:08:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I, as a java developer, find myself constantly switching among
different DBMS.

The JDBC easies it greatly, but I am thinking about a Portable DATA
Layer kind of functionality to aliviate the problems when you must do
that.

Notice I am not talking aobut connection pooling or persistence
manager!

Here are some of the problems I would like to rid of my mind:

1._ A change of DBMS should only require a one-line change in a
properties files

DataLayer DL = new DataLayer("_.propeties");

2._ SQL statements should be declared outside the code entirely, so
that admin people and DBAs can look at the damage we devs are doing
:-)

3._ Changes in the SQL statements ('We' constantly change the Data
Tables and Structures during dev)
I don't want to have to touch the code if I change the Data layer.
Say, a new column is included in the Table

4._ I would love to query a DBMS like you call a method, without
having to worry about getInt's, and getString's things;

something like:

ResultSetRecordsObjs[] RSO02 = DL.preparedStat("SELECT
...").getRecordObjects();

Then you would simply go:

. Request.setAttribute("RSO02Ar", RSO02);

. grab the array of objects containing the returned records
information in a jSP and display the results.

Notice that only the JSP would have to be changed possibly by a
knowledgable designer.

Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
source :-))?