Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC

From: lbrtchx(at)hotmail(dot)com (Albretch)
To: pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Portable Java Data Layer based on JDBC
Date: 2004-06-17 21:08:43
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Hi,

 I, as a java developer, find myself constantly switching among
different DBMS.

 The JDBC easies it greatly, but I am thinking about a Portable DATA
Layer kind of functionality to aliviate the problems when you must do
that.

 Notice I am not talking aobut connection pooling or persistence
manager!

 Here are some of the problems I would like to rid of my mind:

 1._ A change of DBMS should only require a one-line change in a
properties files

 DataLayer DL = new DataLayer("_.propeties");

 2._ SQL statements should be declared outside the code entirely, so
that admin people and DBAs can look at the damage we devs are doing
:-)

 3._ Changes in the SQL statements ('We' constantly change the Data
Tables and Structures during dev)
 I don't want to have to touch the code if I change the Data layer.
Say, a new column is included in the Table

 4._ I would love to query a DBMS like you call a method, without
having to worry about getInt's, and getString's things;

something like:

 ResultSetRecordsObjs[] RSO02 = DL.preparedStat("SELECT
...").getRecordObjects();

  Then you would simply go:

  . Request.setAttribute("RSO02Ar", RSO02);

  . grab the array of objects containing the returned records
information in a jSP and display the results.

 Notice that only the JSP would have to be changed possibly by a
knowledgable designer.

 Do you know of something like that already out there (preferably open
source :-))?

pgsql-jdbc by date

Next:From: Simon RiggsDate: 2004-06-17 21:19:24