Re: pg_atoi error

From: LIANHE SHAO <lshao2(at)jhmi(dot)edu>
To: Bruno Wolff III <bruno(at)wolff(dot)to>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_atoi error
Date: 2004-01-23 17:34:39
Lists: pgsql-novice

> Please keep threads on the mailing list.

> > > You can either have your application handle
> > obviously bogus data or
> > > you can write a function in postgres that converts
> > text to int using
> > > whatever rules you want for assigning values to
> > nonnumeric strings.
> > >

> > The above query is simple, but my query sometimes is
> >  kind of complex. If I have to manually deal with
> > each possible bogus data or use functions to convert
> > each string to number, beside lot of overhead, maybe
> > there are somethings you still forget to do. Seems
> > it does not solve the problem completely.
>
> This doesn't make sense. If you want to treat all
garbage data as
> beingthe same as 0, just write a function to do
it. If you don't
> know what to
> do with the garbage data, how do you expect
Postgres to do the
> right thing
> on its own.

Seems you missed my point.
Actually I am wondering if pgsql can work on its own
with garbage data like mysql. for example if it
should be expid ='1' but I use it with expid='xyz'.
In this case, MySql will seliently give you 0 row
instead of error message. From your point, Seems
Pgsql will only give error message unless you deal
with it manually.

Regards,
William

pgsql-novice by date