Re: swik.net is copying planetpostgresql content

From: "Guido Barosio" <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: swik.net is copying planetpostgresql content
Date: 2008-05-26 21:06:09
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

On Mon, May 26, 2008 at 1:26 PM, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
<adsmail(at)wars-nicht(dot)de> wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> found this one during a Google search:
>
> http://swik.net/PostgreSQL/Planet+Postgresql
>
> It seems this wiki is fetching all Planet PostgreSQL content and adding
> anything to their own wiki - without even a link back to planet.
> Any planet link is rewritten to match the wiki structure.
> The PG planet is not the only website in question, they fetch much more
> blogs: http://zeitgeist.swik.net/ http://swik.net/?randomproject
> In addition they change any license to: "All original text is available
> as Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike".
>
> This behavior gives (of course) top positions in any search engine
> result - but i'm not sure that all planet feeds find this amusing.
>
> Just spoke with Devrim about that and his opinion is to let the
> community decide.
>

> So is there anything we want to do? The wrong/changed license and
> the missing links back to the original website are at least
> questionable.
>

> Kind regards
>
> --
> Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum
> German PostgreSQL User Group
>
> --

<quote>
You can also syndicate RSS feeds into SWiK. This is useful in cases
such as a project news feed, or a tips and tricks blog. Every
registered user of SWiK also has a set of personal pages, and you
might want to syndicate your personal feeds into SWiK as well – such
as your del.icio.us bookmarks or your blog.
</quote>

It seems to me that someone pushed the feeds, rather than swik
directly fetching. If this is the case that user probably accepted
some conditions, and probably the license and missing links are an
effect of this conditions.

Could be? 2 cents.

--
Guido Barosio