Re: How to Control the Persistence of A PostgreSQL Connection

From: Guido Barosio <gbarosio(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Lane Van Ingen <lvaningen(at)esncc(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to Control the Persistence of A PostgreSQL Connection
Date: 2005-08-18 18:10:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

While this is strictly related to the administration of a rdbms, I don't
actully know if it is a matter of the rdbms software to control the
connection timeout. (This is something that major rdbms providers, oracle,
ms, give as a solution, but I am not sure if that is a good habit, asuming
that in production enviroment you will have a firewall and may be also
network configurations that may affect the rdbms connection behaviour. But I
guess this is a new discussion, and won't help with your current problem ;)
)
As far as I know, this would go hand on hand with "under the bridge" tcp/ip
settings. (A few days ago a discussion run against a similar issue, look for
it in the archives)
Now, postgresql does not has a native pooling method (or no that I am aware
of), but you will find many third party solutions for that.
In the postgresql.conf file, you will find a parameter max_connections or
alike, where you will have to play with that value, as well as with your
memory resources parameters. Remember that connections and memory usage are
close in hands, to make the thing work.
My poor contribution :)
Best wishes,
Guido

On 8/18/05, Lane Van Ingen <lvaningen(at)esncc(dot)com> wrote:

> Have been reading the manual and searching for connection timeout
> information, but
> I don't think what I have found answers my questions. Most of what I found
> so far
> is C library functions in Chapter 27 on version 8.0 manual (am not a C
> programmer).
>
> I saw connection timeout discussed a little bit with login /
> authentication
> type
> parameters, but it had to do with getting in, not maintaining a
> connection.
>
> We are connecting to PostgreSQL using clients running JBOSS. What I want
> know is:
> - from the PostgreSQL side, how long will a connection to the database be
> kept open
> if inactive for a period of time, and where are the parameter(s) to
> affect that?
> - does PostgreSQL do connection pooling?
> - is there any way I can tell if I am getting into trouble on the number
> of
> connections open, and how long they have been open, outside of user
> complaints
> of lack of service (unable to connect)?
>
> I am on Windows 2003, using version 8.0.

"Adopting the position that you are smarter than an automatic
optimization algorithm is generally a good way to achieve less
performance, not more" - Tom Lane.