Re: WAL archiving

From: "Vladimir Rusinov" <vladimir(at)greenmice(dot)info>
To: "Shilpa Sudhakar" <ssudhakar(at)internode(dot)com(dot)au>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WAL archiving
Date: 2008-02-22 07:35:05
Lists: pgsql-admin
On 2/22/08, Shilpa Sudhakar <ssudhakar(at)internode(dot)com(dot)au> wrote:
> I am new to postgres and have been slowly learning the concepts.
> Regarding WAL archiving, we first take a base backup and then save all
> the wal logs for PITR.

Not exactly.
1. adjust acrhive_command to save wal's to backup dir
2. execute SELECT pg_start_backup('lable')
3. copy database files
4. execute SELECT pg_stop_backup()

Both the base backup and wal logs are stored in another disk.
> Since the wal logs keep increasing, do we take the base backup every now
> and then so that we can delete the old log files?

Yes, but do not delete old files until the new backup was successfully

How often do we take a base filesystem backup keeping in mind that our
> systems are 24 x 7.

It depends on your diskspace & load.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Read the manual. It's pretty good & explains almost everything.

Vladimir Rusinov
Voronezh, Russia
UNIX Admin @ Murano Software