Re: What exactly is postgres doing during INSERT/UPDATE ?

From: Jeff Janes <jeff(dot)janes(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Joseph S <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net>
Cc: Scott Marlowe <scott(dot)marlowe(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: What exactly is postgres doing during INSERT/UPDATE ?
Date: 2009-08-31 15:24:01
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:01 PM, Joseph S <jks(at)selectacast(dot)net> wrote:

> I've already learned my lesson and will never use raid 5 again. The
> question is what I do with my 14 drives. Should I use only 1 pair for
> indexes or should I use 4 drives? The wal logs are already slated for an
> SSD.

Why not just spread all your index data over 14 spindles, and do the same
with your table data? I haven't encountered this debate in in the pgsql
world, but from the Oracle world it seems to me the "Stripe And Mirror
Everything" people had the better argument than the "separate tables and
indexes" people.

Jeff