Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - feedback adjustable control

From: "Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coanda(at)deuromedia(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL Configuration Tool for Dummies - feedback adjustable control
Date: 2007-06-22 13:24:47
Lists: pgsql-performance

""Campbell, Lance"" <lance(at)uiuc(dot)edu> wrote in message news:A3AC4FA47DC0B1458C3E5396E685E63302395E63(at)SAB-DC1(dot)sab(dot)uiuc(dot)edu(dot)(dot)(dot)
Below is a link to the HTML JavaScript configuration page I am creating:

http://www.webservices.uiuc.edu/postgresql/

I had many suggestions. Based on the feedback I received, I put together the initial list of questions. This list of questions can be change.

Instead of (or in addition to) configure dozens of settings, what do you say about a feedback adjustable control based on the existing system statistics and parsing logs (e.g http://pgfouine.projects.postgresql.org/index.html ) ?

Such an application improved with notifications would be useful for experimented users, too. A database is not static and it may evolve to different requirements. The initial configuration may be deprecated after one year.

Regards,
Sabin