order by differences: locale problem?

From: Raphael Bauduin <rblists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: order by differences: locale problem?
Date: 2009-01-15 11:29:17
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi,

I have ordering differences between 2 servers, running both the same
linux distribution (debian), the same postgresql server (8.2.9, though
one was compiled, and the order installed with debian packages).
Both have differences in ordering, and I don't know which settings
influence this behaviour:

Here's an example:

Server 1: expected behaviour:

select 'About' as n union select 'arrow' as n union select 'Bold' as n
union select 'sequence' as n order by n;
----------
About
Bold
arrow
sequence

Server 2: undesired behaviour: it sorts results case unsensitive

select 'About' as n union select 'arrow' as n union select 'Bold' as n
union select 'sequence' as n order by n;
----------
About
arrow
Bold
sequence

What settings do I have to change to have the same behaviour on both servers?

Thanks in advance.

Raphaël

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com