order by differences: locale problem?

From: Raphael Bauduin <rblists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: order by differences: locale problem?
Date: 2009-01-15 11:29:17
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hi,

I have ordering differences between 2 servers, running both the same
linux distribution (debian), the same postgresql server (8.2.9, though
one was compiled, and the order installed with debian packages).
Both have differences in ordering, and I don't know which settings
influence this behaviour:

Here's an example:

Server 1: expected behaviour:

select 'About' as n union select 'arrow' as n union select 'Bold' as n
union select 'sequence' as n order by n;
----------
 About
 Bold
 arrow
 sequence

Server 2:  undesired behaviour: it sorts results case unsensitive

select 'About' as n union select 'arrow' as n union select 'Bold' as n
union select 'sequence' as n order by n;
----------
 About
 arrow
 Bold
 sequence

What settings do I have to change to have the same behaviour on both servers?

Thanks in advance.

Raphaƫl

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com
Free Software Developers Meeting: http://www.fosdem.org

pgsql-novice by date

Next:From: Wright, GeorgeDate: 2009-01-15 13:43:07