Re: Trigger Procedure Error: NEW used in query that is not in a rule

From: "Raphael Bauduin" <rblists(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: depesz(at)depesz(dot)com
Cc: "Javier Fonseca V(dot)" <fonsecajavier(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Trigger Procedure Error: NEW used in query that is not in a rule
Date: 2008-09-17 15:08:39
Lists: pgsql-general pgsql-sql

HI,

On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 9:07 PM, hubert depesz lubaczewski
<depesz(at)depesz(dot)com> wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 11, 2007 at 02:45:09AM -0500, Javier Fonseca V. wrote:
>> I think that it's working alright except for the next line:
>
> doing this in plpgsql is very complicated (or even impossible assuming
> that any table can have the same trigger). i would rather suggest using
> pl/perl - writing something like this in pl/perl is very simple.

I am in the same situation where I would like to execute a query similar to
EXECUTE 'INSERT INTO ' || quote_ident(SOMEDYNAMICNTABLENAME) || '
SELECT new.*';

I've looked at the plperl documentation, and experimented a bit, but
I'm not even sure how to start this in pl/perl. I hoped to extract
columns from $_TD->{new} but it doesn't seem to work.
Would you have a little example on how you would do it?

Thanks in advance!

Raph

--
Web database: http://www.myowndb.com