Re: database size growing continously

From: Anj Adu <fotographs(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Jeremy Harris <jgh(at)wizmail(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: database size growing continously
Date: 2009-10-30 19:53:00
Lists: pgsql-performance

Any relational database worth its salt has partitioning for a reason.

1. Maintenance. You will need to delete data at some
point.(cleanup)...Partitions are the only way to do it effectively.
2. Performance. Partitioning offer a way to query smaller slices of
data automatically (i.e the query optimizer will choose the partition
for you) ...very large tables are a no-no in any relational
database.(sheer size has limitations)