Re: recovering using a continuous archive backup doesn'twork on Windows

From: "Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coanda(at)deuromedia(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: recovering using a continuous archive backup doesn'twork on Windows
Date: 2007-04-03 06:29:18
Lists: pgsql-admin

>>From your earlier problem description you seem to be attempting to run
> two databases on one server. That requires a custom install, though even
> if you did this it definitely would not provide you with any of the
> outcomes you might want to create:
>
> Are you trying to
> a) run a backup with continuous archiving
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-ARCHIVING-WAL
>
> b) run a restore from a continuous archive backup
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/continuous-archiving.html#BACKUP-PITR-RECOVERY
>
> c) run a Warm Standby between two database servers
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.2/static/warm-standby.html
>
> If you want to do (a) or (b) you've mistakenly read both parts of the
> manual and if you want to do (c) then you need two servers, not just
> one.
>
> --
> Simon Riggs

Hi Simon,

First of all, I didn't attempt to run two databases on one server. As I
said, I made the default install without any trickies.
I was trying to do first "23.3.1. Setting up WAL archiving", to enable WAL
archiving, and I specified in the previous email you the command on Windows.
This works perfectly, and I saw the generated WAL segment files.

Then I applied "23.3.2. Making a Base Backup", and I think it works well to.
I saw the backup file, and the new WAL segment files.

Then I tried "23.3.3. Recovering using a Continuous Archive Backup", and I
made every step from 1 to 8. Also I specified what was the "restore_command"
setting in recovery.conf file.

As I said, after precisely 30 seconds, Postgresql service stops, with just
one log message in the event viewer, saing "The PostgreSQL Database Server
8.2 service entered the stopped state".

Please detail how do you think that I mistakenly read both parts of the
manual ? What's wrong ?

Regards,
Sabin