WAL based backup/recovery clarifications

From: "Sabin Coanda" <sabin(dot)coanda(at)deuromedia(dot)ro>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: WAL based backup/recovery clarifications
Date: 2007-03-19 07:58:34
Lists: pgsql-admin
Hi there,

I'd like to use WAL, but I need some clarifications about the
backup/recovery procedure.

In Postgresql v8.2.3 documentation, I found I have to make backup between
pg_start_backup/pg_stop_backup executions, using tar/cpio tools.

May I use pg_dumpall instead ? Is it enough to restore the database later
with WAL ?

If I cannot use pg_dumpall, please tell me exactly what are the directories
that have to be archived. I note that I use a standard configuration on
Windows.

TIA,
Sabin

pgsql-admin by date

Next:From: Anton PikhteryevDate: 2007-03-19 13:52:27