Re: time for PgAdmin IV ?

From: Marian POPESCU <softexpert(at)libertysurf(dot)fr>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: time for PgAdmin IV ?
Date: 2006-12-20 10:57:48
Lists: pgadmin-support

Guillaume Lelarge wrote:

Well, for me it seems that there were some serious efforts to overcome bugs
in wxWidgets; today there is no PgAdmin3 1.6.1 for Fedora available: wxW
2.8.x was not released ...
On the other hand, this library allows you to develop and deliver a *single
file* executable with the *same* code on at least 3 platforms at once ...
Graphics are excellent and they are/look the *same* on the 3 platforms ...
wx is kind of ugly (for me, at least) and takes a lot of screen space just
to display big borders inside big borders ...

Of course I'm not the developper of PgAdmin and surely I have no idea of
what's inside its code - by the way, the devs are really doing a great
job - but I guess it will not hurt to simplify and optimize - and to me
PgAdmin needs it (how many bugs caused by wxW needed workarounds by now?).

Having a framework that is instantly available on several platforms and that
can be linked inside the executable file could be a nice advantage for
PgAdmin: easy to install, not big size, and fully functional - could make
life a lot easier for many out there ( including devs ;-) ) ...

These are my thoughts and you're welcome to criticize / make points.

Thank you,
Marian

--
- S o f t E x p e r t -