Re: Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go

From: "Andrus" <eetasoft(at)online(dot)ee>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go
Date: 2006-11-28 17:17:36
Lists: pgsql-general

>So my advice goes towards Mono/Gtk#. There is a bunch of programming
>languages for Mono/.NET to choose from, so choosing one of them mostly
>depends on your taste.

Here is some information missing from this thread:

1. Gtk# does not support data binding required for database application. It
even does not have grid control, uses treeview to emulate it.
WinForms controls have native data binding support.

2. Database table Grid requires a lot of memory management (alloc,free,
compacting).

This is performed faster when managed code in C# is used rather in
plain-pointer C++
You cannot image that you re-implement MONO memoy manager in C++
application, don't you?

3. wxGrid does not allow to use up and down arrows to move previous/next
rows when data is edited in grid cells. You cannot use arrows to move
prev/next row in pgAdmin when edititng data.
Second (in order of created code) pgAdmin developer, Andres hates wxGrid.

4. wxGrid does not support virtual grid. Whole dataset is rendered in memory
alwas.
.NET DataGridView has native virtual grid support. It can read new data from
Postgres database only when page down key is pressed.

5. Java is not LGPL and does not support Generic at bytecode level
Mono libraries are LGPL and it supports Generic at bytecode level.

6. Nowadays Microsoft controls Delphi and forces it to stop running in
Linux. Kylix has no upgrades.

Conclusion:

Only MONO/WinForms is a way to go in any serious application.

Andrus.