Re: Sql Anywhere to PostgreSQL?

From: ljb <lbayuk(at)pobox(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Sql Anywhere to PostgreSQL?
Date: 2006-10-26 01:17:38
Lists: pgsql-admin
> Has anyone ever done a conversion from Sql Anywhere to PostgreSQL?  I have a
> task to investigate what this would take.

Biggest problem areas I see would be stored procedures and the many SQL
differences. If you use stored procedures, they will need to be completely
rewritten.  The SQL differences will get you too; someone who knows both
SQLA and PostgreSQL will have to review line-by-line.  Stuff like SQLA's
"current timestamp" vs PostgreSQL "current_timestamp". Or, limiting returned
rows (SQLA: SELECT TOP 10 * FROM ... vs PostgreSQL: SELECT * FROM ... LIMIT
10). Just two examples. Where standards exist, PostgreSQL is much more
standard than Sybase.