Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies

From: "Carlo Stonebanks" <stonec(dot)register(at)sympatico(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Performace Optimization for Dummies
Date: 2006-09-28 17:53:22
Lists: pgsql-performance

> are you using the 'copy' interface?

Straightforward inserts - the import data has to transformed, normalised and
de-duped by the import program. I imagine the copy interface is for more
straightforward data importing. These are - buy necessity - single row
inserts.

> thats a tough question. my gut says that windows will not scale as
> well as recent linux kernels in high load environments.

But not in the case of a single import program trying to seed a massive
database?

> hearing good things about the woodcrest. pre-woodcrest xeon (dempsey
> down) is outclassed by the opteron.

Need to find a way to deterimine the Xeon type. The server was bought in
early 2006, and it looks like woodcrest was form July.

> 1. can probably run fsync=off during the import
> 2. if import is single proecess, consider temporary bump to memory for
> index creation. or, since you have four cores consider having four
> processes import the data somehow.
> 3. turn off stats collector, stats_command_string, stats_row_level,
> and autovacuum during import.

Very helpful, thanks.

Carlo