Re: PgCon: who will be there?

From: Koichi Suzuki <koichi(dot)szk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch>, Selena Deckelmann <selenamarie(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-cluster-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PgCon: who will be there?
Date: 2010-02-12 13:21:23
Lists: pgsql-cluster-hackers

Hi,
----------
Koichi Suzuki

2010/2/12 Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)gmail(dot)com>:
> On Fri, Feb 12, 2010 at 8:41 PM, Markus Wanner <markus(at)bluegap(dot)ch> wrote:
>> Glad to hear that. I'm currently thinking about possible implementations,
>> but I doubt somewhat that I'll have the time to do the actual
>> implementation :-(
>
> Probably me too ;)
>
>>> And it has already begun being discussed on -hackers.
>>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2010-01/msg00916.php
>>
>> Hm.. did you notice my review and comments on *this* mailing list [1]?  I
>> don't think that approach works for anything we need for clustering. It's
>> designed for parallel pg_dump.
>
> Umm.. do you think that the "Export snapshots to other sessions" feature is
> completely independent of the snapshot management for the parallel pg_dump?
> If not, we should make the patch more extensible for the feature we want?

I don't think so. But in the cluster, from my experience of PG-2, it
is essential to manage snapshot consistent among all the node involved
and we should be very careful to make other local tasks, for example,
autovacuum and analyze, not disturb other transactions because they
can become global long transactions very easily.

They don't happen in parallel pg_restore, parallel pg_dump or other
local parallelisms.

So I think their patch may be useful in cluster environment too.