referencing an attribute of a ROWTYPE variable in pgpsql using quote_ident or quote_literal

From: "David Monarchi" <david(dot)e(dot)monarchi(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: referencing an attribute of a ROWTYPE variable in pgpsql using quote_ident or quote_literal
Date: 2007-05-30 20:25:23
Lists: pgsql-novice
Hello -

I'm using PG 8.2.  I have the following code snippet:

 adServerLoadRow domain2_dom%ROWTYPE;
 attName text;
 line text;
 i int;

 i = 3;
 attName := split_part(line,E'\t',i);
 adServerLoadRow.quote_literal(attName) = split_part(line,'\t',i+1);

The error message I receive is
ERROR: row "adserverloadrow" has no field "quote_literal"
SQL state: 42703
Context: compile of PL/pgSQL function "adserverfunctionbody" near line 57

I'm trying to dynamically assign values to attributes in a record without
know which attribute values I will actually receive.  I will always receive
at least two key-value pairs with the elements separated by tabs.

I have tried both quote_literal and quote_ident with the same result.  Any
advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

David

pgsql-novice by date

Previous:From: Michael SwierczekDate: 2007-05-29 18:06:23
Subject: Re: problems with SELECT query results