Out parameters handling

From: Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Out parameters handling
Date: 2009-03-06 21:29:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi

It was one of my worst Friday's finding out that this brain dead
implementation of out parameters had been part of fuck up again.
This time we did notice it two days too late.
I wish for a way to use out parameters in functions only through some
predefined prefix like in triggers new and old. Means i would like to limit
referencing to out parameters to one prefix only defined in the beginning of
declare section of stored procedure.
It really sucks what kind of mistakes you can pass to production
unknowingly. I would much prefer a way to prevent such nonsense.
Here was the case where out parameters were with same names with select into
field names resulting in null outcome. Just yesterday we had similar case
with update statement.

regards
Asko