Re: PQoidValue - get last ID of primary key after INSERT - small

From: Georgi Kolev <geo_kolev(at)mail(dot)ru>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQoidValue - get last ID of primary key after INSERT - small
Date: 2006-08-11 15:51:01
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Hi Tom,

Tom Lane wrote:
> Georgi Kolev <geo_kolev(at)mail(dot)ru> writes:
>> The easiest way to fix the problem were to fix heap_insert() to get the
>> right value in case there is no OID column declared in the table.
>
> Not a chance.  I could make a list of objections to that that's longer
> than your patch, but the short of it is that this is a completely
> inappropriate level of the system to be doing that kind of work in.

My basic idea was to implement such functionality as in Sybase and MSSQL
Server, I mean the @@identity system variable, which is filled with the
identity column of the last INSERT statement executed. I just needed
some simple solution to fix the problem. Now it works perfectly for me.

> What we *are* working on is INSERT RETURNING (in fact I'm about to start
> work on reviewing/committing that patch right now...), which is a much
> more general solution to the problem.
>
> 			regards, tom lane

I agree that the solution INSERT...RETURNING is more general and
flexible. But I think if we have such a solution as @@identity as in
Sybase, PostgreSQL will be much more compatible and adoptable for
migrations.

Regards, Georgi Kolev