Re: Frontend/Backend protocol 3.0

From: Jonathan Fuerth <fuerth(at)sqlpower(dot)ca>
To: pgsql-odbc(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Frontend/Backend protocol 3.0
Date: 2005-06-06 17:48:47
Lists: pgsql-odbc
On Jun 3, 2005, at 5:20 PM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Are you aware someone is rewriting ODBC to use libpq for protocol
> communications?

I found the announcement from Command Prompt about their new ODBC
driver for PostgreSQL.  If anyone else didn't know about this, here's
the thread:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-odbc/2005-04/msg00084.php

It looks like an ambitious project, but I'm sure they have the
dedication, talent, and resources to see it through to completion.  I
eagerly await their initial public release along with everyone else
here who has the misfortune of needing to use an ODBC interface. :)

In the mean time, my patch for the existing driver remains on offer to
anyone who wants access to the SQLSTATE error messages from the
backend.  Better yet, maybe someone with the necessary permission can
post the patch to the gborg website or just apply it to the main code
in CVS. I think the only change that should be made before applying my
patch is to add "7.4" as a protocol choice in the Windows configuration
UI.  It should be trivial for someone who understands that UI code (I
don't).

The patch does not break compatibility with the older protocols, so you
can continue to use the patched driver with pre-7.4 backends.  You will
get the same synthetic SQLSTATE codes as before if you connect using
the older protocols.

Regards,

-Jonathan Fuerth