psql data restore not working

From: "Daniel Punton" <compass2k(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: psql data restore not working
Date: 2008-08-29 00:26:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

I would be glad on advice what might be the issue (or how I could narrow it
down)
with the non restoration of data from a postgres 7.1 database to a postgres
8 database.

The schema was dumped with
pg_dump -O -s databasename > database_schema_file_name
The data was dumped with
pg_dump -O -a databasename > database_data_file_name

the datafile was gzipped and transferred to another server
and gunzipped

the database was successfully created
the schema was successfully generated
psql -d databasename -f database_schema_file_name
the datafile was cleaned for the carriage return/line feed issue (between
pgsql 7-> 8)
sed 's/^M/\\r/' datafilename > datafilename
I attempted to insert the data
psql -d databasename -f database_data_file_name
no errors but when I query the data - there is none ..

Any ideas what I might be missing or how to see any errors or warnings?

Cheers
Daniel Punton
Senior Analyst/Programmer
Transact/EForms Team CSC