Re: superlative missuse

From: David Wilson <david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: clist(at)uah(dot)es
Cc: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: superlative missuse
Date: 2009-05-13 00:12:41
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 5:53 PM, Angel Alvarez <clist(at)uah(dot)es> wrote:

> we suffer a 'more optimal' superlative missuse
>
> there is  not so 'more optimal' thing but a simple 'better' thing.
>
> im not native english speaker but i think it still applies.
>
> Well this a superlative list so all of you deserve a better "optimal" use.

As a native english speaker:

You are technically correct. However, "more optimal" has a
well-understood meaning as "closer to optimal", and as such is
appropriate and generally acceptable despite being technically
incorrect.

This is a postgres mailing list, not an english grammar mailing list...

--
- David T. Wilson
david(dot)t(dot)wilson(at)gmail(dot)com