Re: Creating diff scripts for upgrades

From: "Josh Tolley" <eggyknap(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Mag Gam" <magawake(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Creating diff scripts for upgrades
Date: 2008-01-26 13:11:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Jan 24, 2008 9:07 PM, Mag Gam <magawake(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> I am currently developing an application. When I make database schema
> changes how can I apply these changes to production? How do application
> developers accomplish this task? BTW, I am using phpPgAdmin to admin/create
> my schema.
>
> Any ideas?

I can only say I've not yet found an answer to this question that
satisfies everyone. In my environment, developers make changes to
scripts in the source code repository that will recreate each object,
and commit separate code to release notes to modify existing objects.
In short, the source code contains all the CREATE TABLE statements,
and the ALTER TABLE statements to get the tables from version 1 to the
current version are in release notes. This has the obvious
disadvantages of developers needing to check in two different scripts
for each database change, and that the set of creation scripts rarely
gets exercised. But it seems to offer some efficiencies over other
alternative methods we've tried, that work well in our environment.

- Josh