Re: Compile error: command not found

From: "Nathan Garlington" <garlinto(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-ports <pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compile error: command not found
Date: 2008-05-02 17:16:40
Lists: pgsql-ports
well, after I unzipped and untarred the source,

I changed dir into the postgres-8.3.1 dir and executed:

$: ./configure

when complete, did

$: gmake

which took a while, and then did

$: gmake install

I did all of this as per the instructions in the pgsql manual for ver.
8.3.1. When the install completed, I was told the postgres was
successfully installed on my system

But if there is a problem with $PATH environment var, it looks like
there are some other instructions I can follow. I will try those in
the meantime.

On Fri, May 2, 2008 at 10:59 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> "Nathan Garlington" <garlinto(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> > Now, I'm trying to setup the data cluster, so I use:
> > initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data
> > as the postgres user but the shell tells me that the 'initdb' does not exist.
>
> Either you forgot the "make install" step, or it installed the programs
> into someplace that isn't in your $PATH.

Regards,
Nathan Garlington