Re: Simple machine-killing query!

From: Victor Ciurus <vikcious(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Subject: Re: Simple machine-killing query!
Date: 2004-10-21 17:03:41
Lists: pgsql-performance
Well guys,

Your replies have been more than helpful to me, showing me both the
learning stuff I still have to get in my mind about real SQL and the
wonder called PostgreSQL and a very good solution from Tom Lane
(thanks a lot sir!)!

Indeed, changing mem_sort and other server parmeters along with the
quite strange (to me!) outer join Tom mentioned finally got me to
finalize the cleaning task and indeed in warp speed (some 5 mintues or
less!). I am running PG v7.4.5 on a PIV Celeron 1,7Ghz with 1,5Gb ram
so talking about the time performance I might say that I'm more than
pleased with the result. As with the amazement PG "caused" me through
its reliability so far I am decided to go even deeper in learning it!

Thanks again all for your precious help!