Re: Windows installation notes

From: "Greg Sabino Mullane" <greg(at)turnstep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Windows installation notes
Date: 2005-12-02 02:56:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thanks for responding to this and fixing what you could. I
understand now that a lot of the things are Window-isms
and thus not fixable.

> It's the default size for a Windows Installer installation program. We
> could make it larger, but then we'd not look very normal any more.
> AFAIK, it can't be made changeable.

How about a popup README option? (e.g. opens notepad for easier reading)

>> http://postgresql.org/windows.html

> It's also available as
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.FAQ_windows.html
>
> Not sure if it's all tha tmuch better.

Not really. Anyone listening that could create a simpler URL? Redirects
are cheap after all...

> More explanations would help throughout the process, such as
> explaining exactly what "Initialize database cluster" means,
> and what a port number is.

>> Any specifics on how to do that would certainly be appreciated :-)

Heh. No idea. But is there a Windows TODO this could go on?

>> FAT32 partition. Should this not have come up much earlier?=20
>> For example, when I chose the partition?

> We can't put it up earlier, because it's only relevant if you actually
> do an initdb. We'll show it as soon as we've found that out.

Sure, but doing an initdb is the default action. Can't we do a simple check
early on just to let the user know that "this directory cannot be
used for the data directory"?

> Will fix. Been planning to do those screenshots for a long time,
> just never actually did it.

They're up now, and look great!

>> For the conf files in the menus: is there a way to make the=20
>> default editor wordpad instead of notepad?

> We could, but why do you want it? Specifically, I see several problems
> with using wordpad as the default:
> 1) It doesn't live in the same place always, depending on the language
> of windows. (Yeha, we can work around this fairly easily)

Can't you just say "wordpad %1" or whatever the Win convention is.

> 2) You can install Windows without it. You can't install Windows iwthout
> notepad, it'll always be there.

Can't argue with that. But we could test for wordpad first...

> 3) In some cases, Wordpad suddently decides you want to use Word format
> for your .txt file, when you've pasted something in it for example. This
> is really bad. I've never really figured out when or why, but I've
> seenit happen.

Does it depend on the extension? The conf files should be safe if so...

> This is because we don't support readline on windows because it breaks
> in most locales.

Ouch. Those poor Windows users.

> Thanks for all your comments!

Thanks for all the work you and everyone else has done on making this
installer!

- --
PGP Key: 0x14964AC8 200512012155