Re: Out parameters handling

From: Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, Asko Oja <ascoja(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Out parameters handling
Date: 2009-03-09 05:01:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sun, Mar 8, 2009 at 4:36 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
> Ryan Bradetich <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> This is one of the things I wanted to start looking at for 8.5.
>> My idea was to optionally use : or @ (not sure which is more popular) to
>> specify this token is only a variable.
>
> This whole line of thought is really a terrible idea IMHO.  plpgsql is
> supposed to follow Oracle's pl/sql syntax, not invent random syntax of
> its own.  I believe that 80% of the problems here are occurring because
> we used a crude substitution method that got the priorities backwards
> from the way Oracle does it.

Fair Enough. I just hope what every solution the community decides upon
solves this problem. It is a very annoying problem to track down and I tend
to get even more agitated when I figure out this is the problem.

I do not want to distract from the release efforts, so I will withhold further
comments until the 8.5 development cycle.

Thanks,

- Ryan