Re: [PgFoundry] Unsigned Data Types [1 of 2]

From: "Ryan Bradetich" <rbradetich(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Jaime Casanova" <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec>, "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [PgFoundry] Unsigned Data Types [1 of 2]
Date: 2008-09-22 05:30:34
Lists: pgsql-patches
Hello Jaime,

> i'm still seeing the failures in the copy commands (the ones about the paths)

I just tested this on a different machine (to get it away from my
development environment)
I was able to duplicate the failures.  It looks like I need to update
the expected/ files as well.
I will get fixed ASAP.

> i'm not really sure if this matters.
>
> contrib_regression=# select 256::int2::int4;
>  int4
> ------
>  256
> (1 row)
>
> contrib_regression=# select 256::uint2::int4;
>  int4
> ------
>  256
> (1 row)
>
> contrib_regression=# select 256::int2::uint4;
> ERROR:  cannot cast type smallint to uint4 at character 17
> STATEMENT:  select 256::int2::uint4;
> ERROR:  cannot cast type smallint to uint4
> LINE 1: select 256::int2::uint4;

To keep this type fairly simple, I was not planning to add these casts.
My intention was to handle just enough casting for the required
ASSIGNMENT and IMPLICIT casts and to
gracefully handle the int4 type since naked numbers are implicitly cast to int4.

> otherwise seems fine

Thank you very much for your review!
I am still working on adding comments to the uint.c file.  I am hoping
to have that completed tonight.

Tom:
Have you had a chance to look over the RESTRICT selectivity functions
I implemented to handle the
cross-type problem?  Is that what you had in mind?

Thanks!

- Ryan