Re: Building psql.exe using the free Borland compiler

From: ljb <ljb220(at)mindspring(dot)com>
To: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Building psql.exe using the free Borland compiler
Date: 2006-05-29 00:46:13
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us wrote:

> > This change is causing me grief when trying to compile libpq from
> > PostgreSQL-8.1.4 using Borland BCC32. The above echo command puts
> > exactly this into my pg_config_paths.h:
> > #define SYSCONFDIR \"\"
> > which irks the compiler when building fe-connect.c
> > I had to change it to this in the Makefile:
> > echo \#define SYSCONFDIR "" > pg_config_paths.h
> > Before suggesting undoing this patch, can anyone else verify which version
> > works for them?
>
> Yes, I am getting confused why it works sometimes and not others. Are
> you using bcc55? Does this work:
>
> echo '#define SYSCONFDIR ""' > pg_config_paths.h

Yes, bcc55. In case it matters, using Windows 2000.
You say echo is done by Borland make - are you sure? I thought maybe it was
just passed to the command processor cmd.exe. It doesn't seem to do
anything special with quotes - justs outputs them - but I will do some more
checking with "'\ in a Makefile (on Tuesday, when I'm back where the
Windows PC lives.)

It would be interesting to hear from the original poster who
changed "" to \"\" to find out what his environment is.

By the way, I also had to put "#define inline" into pg_config.h.win32
after #ifdef __BORLANDC__, or the compilation failed in
backend/utils/mb/wchar.c (keep in mind I'm only building libpq here).