Re: Auto-explain patch

From: "Marko Kreen" <markokr(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "Dean Rasheed" <dean_rasheed(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Auto-explain patch
Date: 2008-06-30 13:39:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers
On 6/30/08, Dean Rasheed <dean_rasheed(at)hotmail(dot)com> wrote:
>  This is a small patch I posted a few months back, and then kinda forgot
>  about / got distracted with other things.
>
>  Is there any interest in this? If so I am willing to put more work into
>  it, if people like it or have suggested improvements. Otherwise I'll let it
>  drop.

+1 for including it in whatever form.  It is useful.

We actually already use in live settings (8.2 / 8,3).

>  (The last example shows foo() being called during the planning of this
>  query, which explains why it is called twice during the previous execution)
>
>  Simon Riggs reviewed this last time and said that what this patch
>  currently does is probably not exactly what is wanted for PostgreSQL.
>  Possible improvements might be to integrate this with the EXPLAIN
>  command (eg. EXPLAIN TRACE query) and have a separate parameter
>  (log_explain) for logging purposes.

I don't have strong opinion either way,  It seems its more question
on style than any technical details.  Just that plain EXPLAN MORE is
not enough, it would bo good have a way to turn it on in global/session
level for all queries.

--
marko